Thursday, March 23, 2017

To The Bower They Came - 6x4 Collage

I've been itching to make a simple paper collage; that is, one with no other media such as inks or pencils.  And I wanted to use original items, not photocopies.

(c) 2017 Suitable for Framing

I started by selecting a photo from my stash.  I chose this one in spite of its poor quality.  Well, that's not entirely correct.  I chose it because of its poor quality.  For one thing, even bad photographs tell a story and merit our attention.  Secondly, the photo is not precious to me so I don't feel remorse about using the original.  Besides, I don't know the couple in the photo.  A friend of my mom's gave me a bunch of old photos and this was simply one in a pile.  The poem ("Oenene") by Tennyson came next.  The stanza I chose describes a bower, so I leafed through an early 1900s natural geography textbook until I found a photo with trees.  The colorful strip is a scrap from an old atlas.

I like this collage very much.  The vertical elements in the individual segments work in contrast to the landscape orientation to keep your eye moving.  The sepia tint of the photo pairs well with the color of the old book page (something that isn't apparent in a scan, I'm afraid).  And I love the photo corner remnants!

Thanks for popping in!  Have a great day.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Interesting collage. I like it and it's inspiring! I have a new postcard idea. Thank you very much.

A Mynah Production said...

Beautiful!