Monday, September 2, 2013

2013 Art Calendar Challenge - September

Since I had so much fun making cucumbers for last month's calendar, I decided this month to try my hand at painting tomatoes.  Our garden is just exploding with delicious red and yellow tomatoes; we're eating them every day (sometimes for lunch and dinner both!).  This time I used tube watercolors and paint brushes, rather than watercolor pencils and a water pen.  I find working with the brushes more challenging and I need the practice, as I've signed up for a watercolor class that starts next week.

This calendar began with a vibrant background of turquoise and chartreuse spray inks that I chose to compliment the tomatoes.  I used some store-bought as well as homemade stencils (leftover die-cut items from another project), and toned down some of the color by stenciling white acrylic paint through punchinella.  The chickenwire stamp adds additional, garden-related interest (we've had to use it to keep the rabbits away from certain flowers and hostas).

Happy Labor Day to my American followers!  I hope you're enjoying the long weekend.

Supplies:
Strathmore 9x12 Visual Journal with 140 lb watercolor paper; white gesso; assorted vintage papers and sheet music; Heidi Swapp stencils; Heidi Swapp chartreuse spray ink; Dylusions vibrant turquoise spray ink; punchinella (sequin waste); titanium white acrylic paint; Ranger black archival ink; chickenwire stamp from Oxford Impressions; large alphabet stamps by Wordsworth; small alphabet stamps by Studio G (Michaels); date stamper by Smash; salty coean, barn door, and rusty hinge Distress Inks; Schmincke Horadam Aquarelle watercolors; assorted watercolor brushes; Pitt sepia artist pen; Derwent ocean deep charcoal pencil; patterned papers from Stampington and Company; Golden regular gel medium (matte).

2 comments:

ImagiMeri said...

Your calendar is coming along so beautifully. My mom was (and still is though she can't seem to get herself in the mood)an award winning watercolorist for many years and I'm blessed to have pieces from her. I've always loved watercolor, but I can't seem to just do it. My mom used to teach classes and I took her classes but I'm a great copier and all my stuff looked just like hers, so I never found my own voice. You asked a while back about trading arches, are you still interested or are you waiting till ARTZona?

Hugs,
Meri

thekathrynwheel said...

Your calendar page is stunning. I LOVE your tomatoes - your water colour painting skills are an inspiration! The colour combo of the blue with the red tomatoes is fab.Thanks for being a part of this challenge :-)