Thursday, August 27, 2015

Happy Chunky Birthday

I created this mixed media chunky for my brother whose birthday is coming up soon.  That's his picture when he was just a little tyke.

(c) 2015 Suitable for Framing

I started by covering a 4x4 cradled wood panel with patterned paper and scraps from an old book.  I used blue, green and white acrylic paint to create a grungy background that is interesting but not too busy.  I stamped on some text and the splatters, then added texture by stenciling on the circles using modeling paste and a Tim Holtz stencil.  Once the modeling paste dried, I tinted the circles with distress ink and acrylic paint. 
 
(c) 2015 Suitable for Framing

For the pedestal, I used an old wooden drawer knob.  I painted it with acrylics and applied a crackle product, then played around with distress inks and a charcoal pencil until it looked similar to the background on the panel.

The porcelain knob has a funny family connection: it came off the laundry chute door in the bathroom of our childhood home.  We completely remodeled the bathroom last year and when my mom told me she was going to buy a new knob for the laundry chute door, I asked if I could have the old one.  It's not original to the house, but it does have a cute vintage look to it.

(c) 2015 Suitable for Framing

This project was so much fun.  I think I need to make one for myself!

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a fabulous day.

4 comments:

Annie said...

How cute! I'm sure your brother is going to get a big kick out of this. Really great design and details.

A Mynah Production said...

Love it! How special to also have something tangible...a piece of your home. Your family has gotta love what you give them for their gifts. i'd be buttering you up all the time, just to make sure I got a b-day gift! LOL!

Diane said...

Very cool and cute! Love that you saved that knob. Isn't it funny how little things like that can mean a lot?

Gemininorn said...

This is awesome, I hope he can appreciate all the work that went into it. Is he still as cute?