I'm slowly getting around to projects and gifts for various friends and family members. I created this mixed media collage for my friend Mary, an artist I first met about three years ago when I took her class Found Object Sculpture. It ended up we had quite a few things in common, and we have so much fun whenever we get together. When she posted this adorable picture of herself, her mom and her grandmother on her Facebook page, I knew I had to make something with it.
I started by adhering patterned papers and vintage sheet music to a 4x4 cradled wood panel. I dry-brushed on white acrylic paint and added texture by stenciling modeling paste through a piece of punchinella. After the modeling paste dried, I tinted it with distress ink. I printed the photo on matte paper, trimmed out the three figures and adhered it to the background (note: you need to print photos on a laser printer if you're going to use wet media). I added more modeling paste, charcoal pencil and Stabilo All Pencil to bring everything together.
After much debate as to whether to add a hanger or some
feet, I decided on feet, using two old metal bobbins wound with a strip
of book page. And of course, I had to finish off the back with more book text, because those kinds of details are important to me.
I think this turned out so cute! I love the juxtaposition of the vintage photo with the colors, and the modeling paste looks like a bunch of abstract flowers, especially after I added the glitter glue. I hope she likes it.
Have a fabulous day!
Friday, June 26, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Oh, I'm sure she will love it! Such a fun modern way to preserve a vintage photo! When I first noticed the bobbin feet in the photo, I looked closely asking myself if those were bobbins. LoL I love that idea too.
Oh my gosh, how thoughtful. Such a personable gift!
Post a Comment