This collage was created on a 5x7 canvas panel for my partner in this month's altered envie exchange. It wasn't long ago that she sent me a marvelous painted canvas panel in lieu of an envelope, so I'm glad to have the opportunity to reciprocate.
The panel started off routinely enough, by my adhering an old book page using gel medium. However, when I adhered my photo, I "boogered it up." It couldn't be saved so I set to removing it by rubbing it lightly with a damp sponge. In the process a lot of the old book page also came up, but because I had used gel medium to adhere it, I ended up with a transfer of some of the text! This was one time where a mistake resulted in something better.
In this closeup shot you can see the transferred text as well as some of the grungy texture that resulted from removing the original book page. In spots where I rubbed harder with the sponge, you can see the canvas peeking through.
The strip of washi tape along the bottom set the color scheme for the rest of collage. I added blue and red stenciling using distress inks in addition to an old French postage stamp and some rubber stamping in black.
On the address side, I adhered another book page, muted it with white acrylic paint, then added the same type of stenciling and stamping that I had done on the front. I sprayed both sides with a matte acrylic sealant before adhering the postage stamps. I chose stamps that coordinate with my artwork, including one of my coveted Inverted Jenny stamps.
Thanks for stopping by. Have a great week!
Supplies:
5x7 watercolor canvas panel (Hobby Lobby); old book page; Golden soft matte gel medium; laser copy of old cabinet card; titanium white acrylic paint; Liquitex burnt sienna acrylic paint; vintage photo, black soot, chipped sapphire, pumice stone and barn door distress inks; vintage French postage stamp; punchinella; splatter pattern stamp by All Night Media; Tim Holtz washi tape, ruler stencil, star stamp and word stickers; dark charcoal pencil.
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Wonderful! Sometimes mistakes do work out after all!
What a fun creation ... love all of the layers.
Happy accidents are exciting. I love that the text is backward. It's like he's standing inside a retail window where you can only read the text from outside (unless you're an accomplished backward text reader from the inside). He's the store owner...right? LoL This looks terrific! The vintage style is right up my alley of your works that I love so much.
love this! love all of your ICAD cards, too! very much making me want to do a vintage paper collage... STAT! (i'm concentrating on drawing for ICAD this year, but there's nothing wrong with mixing it up, right?) stephanie sent me a link to your blog and i'm so glad she did! :)
(ps: the picasso quote on your sidebar is one of my faves; it's so true, as well!)
The layers are awesome!! Mistakes in art sometimes lead to the best results! :)
Post a Comment