Saturday, October 5, 2013

2013 Art Calendar Challenge - October

I wanted to try something a little different for this month's art calendar:  the entire background is a watercolor painting.  Here is what my calendar looked like before I added anything else.


And here is what it looks like now that it's completed.


The daily squares were cut from a piece of orange artist paper in a recent Stampington magazine (Somerset Memories, I believe).  After I adhered the daily squares, I used a sepia-colored Pitt artist pen and brown Gelatos (smeared with my fingers) to go back over the parts of the pumpkins that had been covered up.  I love how this detail integrated the daily squares into the painting and brought the pumpkins to the foreground again.  I used a water pen to add blue Gelatos around the month and days of the week.  The Gelatos are a recent purchase for me, so I wanted to experiment with them.

This calendar was super fun to make and it gave me so many ideas for next month as well as for other mixed media projects.  To see other art calendars for Kate Crane's challenge, please visit The Kathryn Wheel.  Kate also has a Facebook page called Art Journaling Calendar Challenge, which more people seem to be using now to post photos of their calendars.

Thanks for dropping in.  Have a fabulous weekend!

Supplies:
Strathmore Visual Journal with 140 lb watercolor paper; Schmincke pan watercolors; Pitt artist pens (black and sepia); alphabet and number stamps by Words Worth (October 2013); alpha stamps by Studio G (days of the week); number stamps by Hero Arts (dates); Ranger Archival ink (black); stormy sky and vintage photo distress ink; Faber-Castell Gelatos; scrap white cardstock from my stash; orange specialty paper from Stampington and Company.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my! This is an amazing calendar. It's beautiful! Thank you for sharing your creativity. I have to go and check out that link. Have a great day! ~Michelle

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Oh wow! That is beautiful. I love the watercolor and the creation into a calendar. Just lovely.

Annie said...

So cleverly created! And the end result is amazing looking! Love the uniqueness of it.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Incredible. This is the most beautiful calendar spread I have seen in a LONG time. You did a fantastic job. Attention to detail sets this calendar apart. Stunning.

Sorry I'm so late visiting. Life got in the way this month and I am just now digging out from under things.