Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Birthday Salute

I created this card for my brother whose birthday is coming up in a few days.  One of his hobbies is studying World War II, so I wanted to make a card that evoked the feeling of that era.

I started by choosing my color palette:  navy blue, dark red, and ivory (the colors in the photo are a little off).  The little tyke from Artistic Outpost was colored with Prismacolor Premier pencils and distress inks, and he is positioned there partly to cover up some lyrics on the flag stamp that I didn't think worked for a birthday card.  I kept the flag image neutral so that the eye is drawn to the little boy.  The red cardstock was embossed with stars and then sponged with vintage photo distress ink to make the stars more visible. For the final touches I went old school:  distressed paper edges and bronze brads.

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great day.

Supplies:
Navy blue and red cardstock by Bazzill; very vanilla cardstock from Stampin' Up; stamps from Artistic Outpost; Ranger archival black ink; Prismacolor Premier pencils; odorless mineral spirits; vintage photo and frayed burlap distress inks; Cuttlebug stars embossing folder; bronze brads; pop-dots.

2 comments:

Hettie said...

This is a great card and I am sure your brother will love it!
Hettie

Anonymous said...

This card has wonderful impact, there is no doubt your brother will adore your creation.
Wishes
Lynne