From a distance, my June art calendar looks a little bit like a hot mess. I started by adhering a variety of leftover scrapbook papers and book pages using spray fixative, a new product for me. (It worked great, but it is VERY sticky and even the wax paper I put behind the pages would have adhered permanently around the edges if I hadn't pulled it out and replaced it with new wax paper before I continued.) I next swiped on some watered-down white gesso to the background papers to mute the colors and blend everything together. Then I played with some new Heidi Swapp stencils and Ranger Perfect Pearls Mists. The mists are very subtle and have a pearlescent shimmer that is noticeable only close up. (For the record, I really liked what I had at this stage.)
I then added some stamping in black and red ink or acrylic paint: cursive text, a variety of eyes, and some circles. Most of this layer ended up obscured by the squares of paper for each day of the month, so I will do this step a little differently next time. For example, I would stamp only the text and circles (or other basic shapes) at this step, and wait until the very end to add the eyes (focal images). That way I could space them better.
The squares were cut from free art papers (several Stampington magazines include some in each issue) and then date-stamped. Once everything was in place, I went back and added more eyes and the "Art Begins with a Vision" sentiment. (Even though in the case of this project, I began without a vision! Maybe that was my problem?)
I guess upon further reflection, this art calendar isn't so bad. I would change some things if I could, but instead I'll just take the lessons I learned and apply them to next month. To see other art calendars a la Kate Crane, please hop over to The Kathryn Wheel.
I hope you're having a great weekend. Thanks for stopping by!
Supplies:
Strathmore Visual Journal with 140 lb watercolor paper; miscellaneous scrapbook papers and book text; Krylon Spray Adhesive; Golden white gesso; Heidi Swapp chevron and polka dot stencils; red Ranger Perfect Pearls Mists (but it's really more of a pink/mauve); black and blazing red Stazon ink; black acrylic paint; text stamp by Inkadinkado; round and square eyes and art sentiment rubber stamps by Studio 490 Wendy Vecchi; pair of eyes stamp by Hampton Art; date squares cut from free papers in Somerset Studio magazine; date stamper by Smash; plastic stick-on letters and numbers (unknown); matte gel medium.




4 comments:
Hot mess is not a bad thing here. I really like your variety of details and how it's all laid out. What fun it would be to fill in those blocks!
Thanks for the encouragement, Annie.
Great calendar page, love the eye stamps! Hugs Frea
I think you did a great job with this spread!! I know what you mean about the spray and stickiness. Some of those Somerset papers are perfect for the squares. I know I've used them before too.
Post a Comment