Friday, June 21, 2013

Ode to Spring - Moo

Last night I created this quick mini card using leftovers from previous projects.  I found the scraps (photo, sheet music, and the word spring) in the plastic bin that became the emergency location for the items on top of my craft table in March, when everything had to be packed up quickly in order to deal with wet carpeting in the basement.

I sponged festive berries and vintage photo distress ink onto a piece of watercolor paper, sprinkled on some water, and after it dried stamped on the writing.  I closely trimmed the photo and adhered it, adding the sheet music and word spring.  The edges were finished with a dab of pearlescent acrylic paint.

In no time at all, I gave some disparate scraps new life and now have a fun little piece of art to enjoy.


Spring, especially the month of May, is my favorite time of year.  It is also the name of one of my favorite 20th Century actresses, Spring Byington.  If you like old movies and watch TCM (Turner Classic Movies) a lot, no doubt you've seen her in something.  She played Marmee in the 1933 version of Little Women (the one with Katharine Hepburn as Jo).  But I like her best as Penny Sycamore in You Can't Take it With You, a role I myself undertook in high school when our theater department staged the production.  Penny was sweet but a little eccentric; a housewife who aspired to be a playwright, or a painter, depending on what day it was.

Here is a picture of Spring Byington as Penny Sycamore.  I had to use a similar typewriter in our play production.  I wish I had one now, to use in my art.  (Hmmmm... foreshadowing?)




Thanks for skipping down memory lane with me.  Have a fabulous Friday!

Supplies:
Watercolor paper (140 lb); festive berries and vintage photo distress inks; French text stamp from Stampin' Up; Stazon black ink; copy of old photo; vintage sheet music and book text; charcoal pencil; Adirondack pearl acrylic paint dabber; Golden matte gel medium.

No comments: