Tuesday, July 5, 2011

O Give Me A Place - Art Journal Page

I have never been one to keep a journal or diary.  I've tried on more than one occasion (as a child and as an adult), but I guess I didn't find it very enjoyable and I could never keep one going.  I don't think this tiger is going to change her stripes any time soon, but I do have a renewed interest in journaling--art journaling, that is.

I stumbled across an art journal thread on ATCs for All and decided to try one of the prompts provided.  My page is rather plain and child-like, but I had fun making it and as a first attempt, I'm pleased with the result.  The quote is from a poem by Arthur Eaton (1859-1937).  I chose it because I've really enjoyed spending time in our yard this year.

I used distress inks to create my background, misting them just a little with water to blend.  The stems and leaves were made with watercolor pencils.  

Thanks for dropping in!  Have a great day.

Supplies:
Strathmore Visual Journal with 140 lb watercolor paper; distress inks: stormy sky, mustard seed, peeled paint, brushed corduroy, spiced marmalade and barn door; Derwent light charcoal pencil; Derwent Watercolour pencils; round punches; spiral clips; spray mister; water brush; permanent black marker; Stazon black ink.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Hi, I really like this page - the colours are pretty and the wash background works well. The flowers are great, love their simplicity. And the quote is so sweet.

I'm just starting on the Art Journal journey too - it doesn't come very naturally to me (I don't have an awful lot to say about myself and my inner feelings, tending to keep all that stuff bottled up) but I'm trying!

It's great to have prompts, I'll have to check out the thread on ATC's for All. I go to inthesun (button on my blog) who comes up with a prompt everyday.

xx