As I told you in this post, I bought a handful of vintage business envelopes at an antique shop recently. I thought they had a lot of potential for mail art, and I didn't waste any time putting my theory to the test.
After cutting a piece of chipboard to fit inside the envelope, I swiped the outside with a thin layer of white gesso. Not only does this prepare the envelope for all the wet layers I like to use, but in this case it also helped obscure the original address. I didn't want to confuse the postal service and jeopardize the envelope's delivery.
After brushing on the deep violet acrylic paint, I adhered my vintage swimmer (a free clipart image from one of the Stampington magazines that I subscribe to). I colored his suit with pencils and added some shadowing with a tinted charcoal pencil. Distress ink was sponged around the edges of the envelope. Then I applied the black line rub-ons in a loose plaid pattern and added some random splatter stamping. The large circles were applied using an empty cardboard crochet thread spool dipped in acrylic paint.
Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day.
Supplies:
Vintage #10 business envelope; Golden white gesso; clipart dude from Stampington and Company; Derwent lavender tinted charcoal pencil; Prismacolor Premier pencils; Liquitex deep violet and raw umber acrylic paint; Dee's Designs distressed effects rub-ons by My Mind's Eye; spiced marmalade, wild honey and seedless preserves distress inks; Atlantic City seal and grunge pattern stamp from Artistic Outpost; splatter pattern background stamp by All Night Media; Ranger archival watering can ink; large cardboard spool.
Friday, June 24, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this envelope! The image is fab! The background even more fab! Is this the side the address will go on? Or will you put the address on the reverse side? You know how curious I am when it comes to your fab art that is always so inspiring to me!
I love your handsome swimmer dude envelope! And it really adds to the overall feel that the original adress can still in parts be seen in the background. Beautiful work.
Post a Comment