Sunday, May 25, 2014

Birthday Milkshake - Art Journal Page

In a previous post, I told you about the tin of opaque watercolors I got at an estate sale.  On that same day we stopped at a couple of garage sales and I found a 2014 Barnes and Noble hardbound desk diary for a buck.  At that price I figured I'd get some use out of it even if it's May already.  So I gessoed a few pages and after much internal debate, decided to make this mainly a painting and drawing journal, not a collage journal.  That way the pages will stay relatively thin and the book will close even as it fills up.


On the left side is a rendition of my new tin of watercolors!  It's not quite to scale but I don't care.  I'm not going for perfection here, and I *love* how freeing that is!  The inside of the paint lid turned out great--it looks like the original which is slightly stained from having paints mixed on it.  I also added a paintbrush.  On the right side is the chocolate milkshake I had at dinner Friday night.  We wanted to go out for ice cream on my birthday, but there aren't any old-fashioned diners in our town anymore where you can get a real milkshake.  So the next night we drove 60 miles round trip to eat dinner at a Steak and Shake, just so we could get milkshakes!  I ordered their Hersey's Special Dark shake which comes with whipped cream, mini chocolate chips, and of course a cherry on top.  It was thick and VERY delicious.

I still need to add my journaling to this spread before I call it finished.  It was a busy week so I'll focus on just the highlights, so my writing doesn't overpower the painting.

I hope you're enjoying your weekend.  Thanks for 
popping by!

Supplies:
Barnes and Noble 2014  Desk Diary (hardboard); Golden white gesso; Grumbacher opaque watercolors.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Very clever! Hope you post the finished project with the journaling. It is very freeing to do work for yourself. Enjoy!