Tuesday, November 18, 2014

In Flanders Fields - Envelope Mail Art

This month marks the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I, or the Great War as it was called then.  I've been learning more about WWI since becoming obsessed with poppies, which are an enduring symbol of the war.  From what I've read, the red poppies grew naturally in the battlefields of northern France and Belgium, sprouting among the graves of the fallen soldiers.  After the 1915 poem In Flanders Fields by Canadian soldier John McCrae, the flowers became forever tied to the war.

(c) Suitable for Framing
Front of the envelope

My main interest in poppies is much more aesthetic:  I'm simply in love with their crepe-paper petals and funky pods.  And if you've been reading my blog for more than a few months, you know that I've been painting poppies, and planting poppies, and otherwise mooning over poppies like a woman mooning over her first love.  So for this month's altered envie exchange I just had to use...poppies!

Address side of the envelope

I did a loose watercolor and ink painting of poppies and foliage on a piece of watercolor paper.  After cutting and folding my painting to form an envelope, I adhered a photograph of some WWI soldiers from a penny postcard I bought at an antique shop.  Among the poppies I wrote the beginning lines to John McCrae's poem.  I've included the complete poem at the end of this post in case you've never read it.  I think it's magnificent.

Close up of the front

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great day.

Supplies:
Strathmore 140 lb watercolor paper; Schmincke Horadam watercolor paints; Faber Castell black PITT artist pen; medium charcoal pencil.

In Flanders Fields
John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row by row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard among the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Super job! Like the symbolism too. One of the grandfathers was in WWI, but didn't have to go overseas. He actually was on a boat to go over when the war ended.

A Mynah Production said...

This is a side step from what I normally see from you. I love it! I also like that you describe Poppies as Crepe paper like, makes them sound even dreamier. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your poppies. I also love this poem and have used it on numerous art pieces. :)