Thursday, June 26, 2014

Happy Day to You

I created this card to send to a fellow artist's sister-in-law who was recently diagnosed with cancer.  About half way through I wondered whether I should have chosen a focal image with a more cheerful expression.  But I forged ahead because I want to get this card mailed without delay.  Besides, you don't find too many vintage photos where the subject is smiling.  They just didn't do that back then.


I kept the card simple by using some pretty patterned papers for the background.  I sponged pumice stone distress ink around the edges to finish them off.


I also made this altered domino magnet to send with the card.  I stamped the little girl on smooth cardstock, colored her with Prismacolor pencils, cut her out closely, adhered her to a piece of book text, then adhered all to a plastic domino.  The word cherish is a rub on.  The trim around the outside edge is a mesh ribbon with rhinestones.

Have a wonderful day!

Supplies:
Card:  Kraft cardstock by Bazzill; naturals ivory and very vanilla cardstock from Stampin' Up; patterned papers unknown (they may be old My Mind's Eye); focal image from Stampers Anonymous (Tim Holtz); sentiment from Stampin' Up; Ranger Archival jet black ink; pumice stone distress ink; scallop border punch by EK Success; oval and scalloped oval Nestabilities by Spellbinders; flower by Prima Marketing; twine from Stampin' Up; pop-dots.

Domino:
Plastic domino from Walmart; vintage book text; Golden white gesso; very vanilla cardstock from Stampin' Up; Ranger Archival jet black ink; focal image from Stampers Anonymous (Tim Holtz); Prismacolor Premier pencils; odorless mineral spirits; vintage photo distress ink; rub-on by Tim Holtz; Glossy Accents; Krylon silver leaf pen; rhinestone mesh ribbon from Alpha Stamps; magnet strips on back.

3 comments:

Faye said...

I think the card is very appropriate for sending as you planned. While she isn't broadly smiling, the little girl has a pleasant expression. Maybe a big grin wouldn't be as good to use as this one's expression, given the circumstances. Your card is very beautiful.

Annie said...

Back in the day, either there just wasn't much to smile about or they were worried what that black box was going to do to them. LoL I agree with Faye, the child is pleasant and calming. Your card is a treasure.

Miss Iowa said...

Thanks for the comments! Annie, I like your theory. The good old days were not always good. LOL. I have heard that people didn't smile because that was an easier pose to hold while the photographer got everything set up, since the process took much longer then.