Sunday, September 27, 2009

You Have to Start Somewhere

This past summer I got a great deal on a set of 36 Derwent Watercolour Pencils at a garage sale. I don't usually go to garage sales, but for some reason I looked at the classified ads in the newspaper that day and one ad caught my eye. The first two items listed were rubber stamps and scrapbook supplies, and the sale was only three blocks away. So I decided to go and I was able to pick up quite a few items at rock bottom prices, including the Derwent pencils.

I already own Prismacolor Premier pencils that I use in my art pieces, but I have not done any watercoloring until now. It was a lot of fun to experiment and the Derwent colors are beautiful. They are much more vibrant than I expected.

I started with a small and simple image: leaves with small buds attached. I don't know what type of tree or bush it is, so I just chose colors that I liked. I tried a Koi self-moistening water brush at first, but I switched to a small Loew Cornell paint brush and decided I liked it better.

I'm sure a larger image will allow me to play with the colors even more, but I had to start somewhere!

We're having a glorious fall day here. I hope you are, too. Thanks for stopping by.

Supplies:
Leaf image (Stampin' Up!); Happiness stamp (Stampin' Up!); Strathmore watercolor paper; Derwent Watercolor Pencils; Loew Cornell paint brush; Archival jet black ink; Adirondack espresso dye ink; Bazzill brown and tan cardstocks; green flourish paper by Anna Griffin; text paper by K & Company; oval and scalloped oval punches; brushed corduroy distress ink; old ribbon; antique gold eyelets.

1 comment:

Carolina said...

For fast watercoloring the aquablenders are ok.

But personally I am partial to regular brushes too.

Love the card!