Tuesday, February 28, 2017

My Nanie, O!

Some time ago I stumbled upon the delightful blog Cappuccino and Art Journal by Pamela Gerard.  Pamela is a mail artist extraordinaire and her use of vintage papers, postage stamps and other postal-related ephemera really sends me.  So I was thrilled to learn that I was the winner of a 2017 datebook that Pamela offered to her blog readers at Christmastime.  It arrived in an arted-up envelope and the whole package really made my day.  I've been "using the heck out of that datebook," let me tell you.  As a thank you, I created this mixed media collage for her.

(c) 2017 Suitable for Framing

I knew I wanted to use an old bingo card and this lovely girl's photo, but the piece of Victorian scrap (the hand holding the flowers) and the stanza from a Robert Burns poem were pure serendipity.  I found both of those items in a pile of scraps that I was sorting through and they were just the right size for this collage.

I found the photo a couple of years ago in an antique store and bought it because the photography studio was not only located in my home town, but in the part of town where I grew up. With just a little online research, I was able to find a reference to that very studio in a 1922 trade publication for photographers; it was a one-sentence announcement of the opening of the studio.  (It's amazing what people have scanned and uploaded to the internet, isn't it?)

(c) 2017 Suitable for Framing

After mounting the finished collage on a piece of poster board, I decorated the back with vintage postage stamps and faux cancellation stamps. 

Happy last day of February!   Thanks for stopping by.

Supplies:
Print of bingo card; print of old photo; Golden gesso; Tim Holtz flourish stencil; pumice stone, fired brick and gathered twigs distress inks; spatter background stamp by All Night Media; cursive text stamp unknown (Stampington maybe?); Ranger Archival black ink; Victorian scrap, French postage stamp and Robert Burns poem from my stash; black Stabilo All Pencil; Ranger tarnished brass and espresso distress paints.

4 comments:

Annie said...

Nanie O is a great collage thank you for your obvious great win of a date book. You are so talented at putting all the various ephemera pieces together to tell a story.

A Mynah Production said...

How exciting! Congrats on your win...perhaps share some pics on EAU? ...and how sweet are you...such a wonderful thank you in return! Even more special that you were able to get the real history of the photo studio. Fabulous post dearest :)

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Well....thank you for the shout--out for my blog and I am SO glad you are enjoying using the datebook. I am using the hell out of mine too. It has been so nice to "meet" you via cyberspace -- and mail art. The collage you made and sent me was just wonderful. Many thanks. See you in the Mail!!

Miranda Lemon said...

Wonderful :-D So lovely :-) And congratulations on winning the date book :-)