Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Weekend Road Trip

I'm just thrilled that fall is on the way.  Although summer has its perks (homegrown tomatoes and sweet corn, for starters) I am not a fan of hot, humid weather.  So when the temps start to stay below 75 and the breeze feels refreshing rather than like standing in front of a hot oven, I'm a happy camper.

This is my mom, dwarfed by some grain bins.

The weather was absolutely perfect last weekend when my mom and I decided to take a little road trip.  Our destination was Dysart, a small (pop. 1,379) town about 50 miles away.  This size town is very common in Iowa.  It's the type of town that has no traffic lights and where the tallest structures are grain bins.

I just loved this piece of artwork!

In spite of its size, Dysart has a one-block Main Street with several thriving boutiques and one antique store.  Most of the stores are the type I like: a blend of old items and new merchandise, some original artwork and refurbished items, unique items very cleverly styled, and all locally owned.

Yard art!

I was able to pick up a couple of gifts that I'll need for upcoming events, and we had a great lunch at the only "restaurant" in town, a small bar and grill.

Beautiful barn with barn quilt.

From Main Street we drove five miles out of town to an old farmhouse that has been converted to a boutique.  Although we didn't buy anything there, I did take a couple of pictures of the surrounding scenery.  This pristine white barn had a lovely barn quilt (something we always look for now when we're out on the road).  And look at that clear blue sky!  It was a gorgeous day for a road trip.

There is beauty in imperfection.

These trees bordered the west side of the farmhouse property.  I thought their shapes were so interesting.  No doubt they've been battered by some heavy winds over the years.  I want to render this scene in a painting.

We had a wonderful day and it felt good to support the businesses in this small town.  So many of our rural towns have no businesses on their Main Street anymore, which is truly sad.

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Diane said...

Very nice photos. Looks like a nice town. I like that vase picture too!

A Mynah Production said...

How nice it is to take a road trip! It really does look like the perfect day. The sky looks SO clean and crisp! ...I love to visit the type of shops that you visited...that's gotta be the most tidy barn that I had ever seen! :)

Unknown said...

Love road trips :) your pictures are great!

Donna said...

This could have been a trip I would take with my mom! I enjoyed your telling of the day. Sounds like you all had fun!