Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Thank You For Your Service

As I mentioned a month ago in the post here, my dad and I are going to Washington, D.C., later this month on an Honor Flight.  One aspect of the trip that I am really excited about is the "mail call."  On the return flight, each veteran will receive cards and letters addressed to him, just as if he were still in the service and away from home.  I know that a few friends and relatives answered my call for mail and have sent something for my dad.  Now it's my turn to share with you what I sent.  In this post I'll show you the card I made; in another post I'll show you the small accordion book that coordinates with it.


The papers are from a Tim Holtz collection called Correspondence.  The muted blue and red tones were perfect for the vintage patriotic look I was going for.  The paper with the blue stars reminded me that I have a set of star-shaped Nestabilities.  The stars were layered with cardstock and more papers from the same Tim Holtz collection.  The sentiment was stamped and then cut with a Spellbinders banner.


For the focal image, I used a photo of my dad that I had printed but not used for my accordion book because it was too small.  However, it was the perfect size for a dogtag die that I have.  The photo paper was kind of wimpy so I adhered the photo to a piece of white cardstock before cutting it.  The result was a sturdier image with a wonderful embossed edge reminiscent of the rolled edge on my dad's actual dogtag.  The blue star and the dogtag were both adhered with pop-dots to allow room for the chain (a Tim Holtz product; I just cut the length I needed).


This card is 5x7 so I had plenty of room inside to write a special message to my dad.  My guess is that it will bring tears to his eyes, because I was tearing up as I wrote it.  I have many things to thank him for in addition to his service to our country.

Thank you for stopping by my blog!

Supplies:
Dark blue cardstock from Stampin' Up; light blue and red cardstock by Bazzill; patterned papers by Tim Holtz; frayed burlap distress ink; sentiment by Recollections (Michaels); Ranger Archival jet black ink; Martha Stewart border punch; star Nestabilities and banner diecut by Spellbinders; dogtag diecut by Elizabeth Craft Designs; ballchain by Tim Holtz; pop-dots.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, Karen, I love this card! Your Dad is going to love it too, but for waaaay many more reasons than your creativity. This is going to be such a great and heartfelt time for him. Especially after his most recent battle. I am most thankful for the bravery and sacrifice such men as your father have provided for our country. Safe trip!

Diane said...

Wow! Perfect in every way!

A Mynah Production said...

You're an awesome daughter! Your dad is gonna love it :)