Saturday, March 15, 2014

Dare To Live - Altered Envelope Mail Art

It's time to mail off another altered envie--how time flies!  My partner this month lives in the Netherlands and her interests are quite different from mine:  cats, vampires, Lord of the Rings...not exactly subjects I gravitate toward.  Thankfully, our envelopes are "artist's choice."  Since I look forward to receiving something different from what I myself create, I figure (I hope) that my partners feel the same.  

Front of envelope

I started by making my own #10 envelope out of 140 pound watercolor paper.  I stamped the frame to preserve a white area for the address.  Then I loosely brushed on yellow, green, and turquoise watercolor paints, laid plastic wrap on top, and pressed down until the paint was mostly dry.  This created a wonderful shattered glass pattern.

Back of envelope

I selected a couple of focal images and sentiments from Artistic Outpost and went to town creating a mixed media collage around them.  I used almost every weapon in my arsenal:  rubber stamps, colored pencils, stenciling, vintage text and sheet music, washi tape, rub-ons, acrylic paint, distress inks, gesso, tissue paper, you name it.  What a wonderful way to spend an evening!

Closeup of front

Thanks for stopping in!  Have a great weekend.

Supplies:
Strathmore 140 lb watercolor paper; Schmincke Horadam watercolor paints; plastic wrap; frame stamp by Hampton Art Stamps; Stazon black and dove gray ink; picked raspberry, salty ocean, and vintage photo Distress Ink; vintage book text and sheet music; washi tape; women and sentiment stamps from Artistic Outpost; Prismacolor Premier pencils; white tissue paper; Art and flower stamps by Wendy Vecchi; Tim Holtz tissue tape butterflies; white acrylic paint; rub-ons by 7 Gypsies; punchinella; Adirondack black and silver acrylic paint dabber; corner rounder punch; soft gel medium.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, WOW! Karen, this envelope is SO amazing!!! I love how you get the images to blend right into your background. And the backgrounds are so gorgeous. I am going to become a student of your work and study it wholeheartedly! Love your style!

A Mynah Production said...

Love the colors and the whole feel of this one. It's fun to see your journey thru the Envie swap. :)